Police Service Logo

Medicine Hat Police Service
Police Background Checks

Help Login  |  Register
Forgot Password?
powered by
Forrest Green Solutions

Video Script

click image to play video
Record Suspension / Pardon

I'd like to take this opportunity to clear up some misconceptions about the record suspension process, formerly known as a pardon.

If you have a criminal record you may be eligible to apply for a Record Suspension.

In order to be eligible, you must have completed all your sentences, including probation, made any restitution or fine payments owing, and remain conviction free for a period of up to 10 years depending upon on your convictions.

Application is made through the Parole Board of Canada and information and forms are available on their website.

Be careful how you query this information to ensure you are on the official Parole Board of Canada website.

Third party companies will offer assistance in the pardon process but they charge fees for this and it does not get your application processed any faster. The system was designed for you to do it on your own.

There are only ten simple steps to follow.

Most of the process involves you gathering documents from the police and courts, and then providing copies of citizenship and identification. Police services can provide general information and advice on the pardon process.

The Parole Board of Canada also offers assistance through a toll free number on their website or by email.