Police Information Check (PIC)This check is intended for applicants who are involved as a volunteer, employee or in any situation where a basic CRC is requested (e.g., retail or immigration). This check is NOT intended for applicants who are seeking volunteer and/or employment with vulnerable persons.
NOTE: Police Services do not have the authority to run a query of the investigative databank for this level of check.
The Police Information Check will include the following information:
- Local police records from any law enforcement agency.
- Alberta provincial court records
- Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC – National police records)
For positions not working with the vulnerable sector:
- Criminal convictions registered in the National Repository in Ottawa, and
- criminal convictions not yet registered on one’s criminal record in the National Repository in Ottawa dating back 3 years, and
- summary convictions not registered on one’s criminal record in the National Repository in Ottawa dating back 3 years, and
- absolute discharges dating back 1 year, and
- conditional discharges dating back 3 years, and
- adult and youth Alternative Measures/Extrajudicial Sanction and diversion involvement dating back 1 year. Multiple diversions beyond one year are treated on a case-by-case basis with consideration given to disclosing some or all relevant involvement, and
- warrants, and
- pending criminal charges, and
- police files from any law enforcement agency, Canadian or otherwise. (Includes known relevant suspect/non-criminal contact with police, enforceable court orders i.e. a Peace Bond, criminal charges that have been stayed, withdrawn, dismissed, charges under appeal, and findings of criminally not responsible-mental disorder.
For positions working with the vulnerable sector:
- Standard check and disclosure as listed above, and
- pardoned records of convictions sexual in nature and/or involving children. Disclosed with applicable vulnerable sector consent.
The Police Information Check WILL NOT include:
- Absolute and conditional discharges, when completed
- Convictions where a record suspension (pardon) has been granted
- Convictions under provincial statutes (i.e. Highway Traffic Act, Trespass to Property Act, Gaming and Liquor Control Act)
- Local police contact
- Alberta Transportation information
- Special Interest Police (SIP) category of CPIC
- Family Court Restraining Orders
- Foreign information
- A Vulnerable Sector (VS) Query to ascertain if the applicant has been convicted of and granted a record suspension for any of the sexual offences that are listed in the schedule to the Criminal Records Act (CRA)
- Any reference to incidents involving mental health contact
- Diversions will not be released as police contact and no reference to the occurrence is permitted (CC S. 717.4)
- Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA) information beyond applicable disclosure period