Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)This check is restricted to applicants seeking employment and/or volunteering in a position of trust or authority over children or vulnerable persons in Canada only. (This means more than having contact with children or vulnerable persons.) This check will include offence information, including convictions, outstanding warrants, charges, judicial orders, and sexual offence convictions for which the individual has received a record suspension (pardon) where authorized by the Minister of Public Safety. Non-conviction information shall be released only when it meets the Exceptional Disclosure Assessment.
Persons requiring records checks for the purposes of Adoption are to use the Police Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check. Persons requiring records checks for the purposes of Kinship are to use the Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
Persons requiring a Non-Parent Custody Applicant Record Check (through court order) cannot use this online screening process. You must attend the Niagara Regional Police Service in person to make application
For specific examples where a VS check may and may not be appropriate,
please click here.
The Police Vulnerable Sector Check will include the following:
- Criminal convictions from CPIC and/or local databases.
- Summary convictions (previous 5 years) when identified.
- Outstanding entries, such as charges and warrants, judicial orders, Peace Bonds, Probation and Prohibition Orders.
- Findings of guilt under the Youth Criminal Justice Act within the applicable disclosure period.
- Absolute and Conditional Discharges (for 1 or 3 years respectively).
- Dispositions of Not Criminally Responsible by Reason of Mental Disorder.
- A review will be conducted of all police contacts. Non convictions are criminal charges that did not result in a conviction in court. However, if the information meets the Exceptional Disclosure Assessment it will be released under the authority of the Police Services Act.
- All record suspensions as authorized for release by the Minister of Public Safety.
The Police Vulnerable Sector Check WILL NOT include:
- Convictions under provincial statutes.
- Local police contact.
- Ministry of Transportation information.
- Special Interest Police (SIP) category of CPIC.
- Family Court restraining orders.
- Any reference to incidents involving mental health contact.
- Diversions will not be released as police contact and no reference to the occurrence is permitted (CC S.717.4).
- Youth Criminal Justice Act information beyond the applicable disclosure period.
- Foreign information.
- Any reference to contagious diseases.