Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)This check is restricted to applicants seeking employment and/or volunteering with vulnerable individuals, children, elderly persons, the disabled, etc. It is a collection of offence information, including convictions, non-convictions and other relevant police contact information available from a local police agency's records management system and other systems/records where authorized. This check will include sexual offence convictions for which the individual has received a record suspension (pardon) where authorized by the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.
Persons requiring records checks for the purposes of Adoption, Kinship Care or Non-Parental Custody (through court order) cannot use this online screening process. You must attend the Brantford Police in person at the Police HQ building at 344 Elgin Street, Brantford. If this is the reason for your police check, you must attend our office in person. We are open seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
The Police Vulnerable Sector Check will include the following:
- Criminal convictions (summary and indictable) from CPIC and/or local databases.
- Outstanding entries, such as charges and warrants, judicial orders, Peace Bonds, Probation and Prohibition Orders. As per CPIC policy, information obtained from the Investigative Databank must be confirmed and authorized for release by the contributing agency.
- Absolute and Conditional Discharges where still within the applicable disclosure periods.
- Family Court Restraining Orders.
- Charged and processed by other means such as diversion.
- Dispositions including, but not limited to, Withdrawn, Dismissed, and cases of Not Criminally Responsible by Reason of Mental Disorder.
- A review of all available police contacts including but not limited to theft, weapons, sex offences, or violent, harmful or threatening behavior which may or may not have involved a mental health incident.
- As authorized for release by the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, Criminal Code convictions for sexual offences for which a record suspension (pardon) was received, identified as a result of a Vulnerable Sector verification search.
The Police Vulnerable Sector Check WILL NOT include:
- Convictions under provincial statutes.
- Ministry of Transportation information (PARIS).
- Suspect information that would hinder an ongoing investigation or where the suspect has not been spoken to.
- Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA) information beyond the applicable disclosure period.
- Information gathered outside formal occurrence reports (i.e., street checks, CAD) should not be released unless under exceptional circumstances.
- Any reference to contagious diseases.
- Victim/Complaint information will not be released unless under exceptional circumstances.
- Foreign information.
- Mental Health Act terminology (refer to Ontario Human Rights Considerations).